What is a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC)?
Commonly known as Community Health Centers, FQHC’s are non-profit community-based, patient-directed organizations that serve populations with limited access to health care and must be located in or serve a designated medically under-served area or population. (ex. rural communities, uninsured, etc). By mission and design, FQHC’s exist to serve those who have limited access to healthcare, although all are welcome.
What does MEHOP do?
- Provides highly quality, efficient cost-effective care which creates savings for the health care system,
- Increases access to primary care, which plays a role in reducing costly, avoidable emergency department visits and hospital stays,
- Delivers a broad array of primary care services including; Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Behavioral Health, Family Dental, Ophthalmology and Women’s Health. We also offer Gastroenterology as specialty care service,
- Reduces mortality and health disparities, and
- Offers many enabling services such as transportation, translation, case management, and health education to ensure our patients are receiving the care they need.
Can I make a donation to MEHOP?
Yes. MEHOP is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.All donations made are tax deductible. Donations can be mailed to 101 Ave. F North, Bay City TX 77414 or through mehop.org/giving/.
Does MEHOP accept insurance?
Yes. We are an in-network provider for most private/employer-based insurance plans, Medicare, Medicaid, active duty / veteran plans, Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and Warrior Assistance Program (WAP). If a patient has insurance, their carrier will be billed according to services provided. Applicable co-pays and deductibles will apply. Benefits will be verified, so please remember to bring your insurance card to all appointments.
Do I need to qualify to be a patient at MEHOP?
No. You do not have to qualify to be a patient at MEHOP. We accept all patients, with or without insurance.
If you are uninsured or have limited insurance benefits, we receive grant funding for specific programs and offer discounts on fees for services (sliding fees) based on household size and income that, if eligible, assist with the cost of health care services.
Providing documentation of household income to verify eligibility in order to receive discounts on fees for services is optional. If you do not wish to provide us with documentation of your household income or if your are not eligible for discounts, fees for services will be full fee.
Are healthcare services free?
No. Payment, including co-pays and deductibles, will be expected at time of service.
How much will my visit cost? I do not have insurance.
To answer this question, you would need to have provided us with your household income to determine which level of fee for service discount you may be eligible for or notified us that you do not wish to provide your household income.
Can MEHOP help with the cost of my prescriptions?
Yes. MEHOP offers two programs to assist qualified patients with prescription costs; Prescription Assistance Program (PAP) and the 340B Program.
- Through PAP, prescriptions are ordered and delivered directly to MEHOP. Patients are then notified that they are available for pick-up at MEHOP.
- With the 340B Program, patients can receive their medications through local participating pharmacies at the 340B discount rates.
Can MEHOP help with transportation to my appointment?
Yes. Transportation is available to and from MEHOP appointments at clinics in Bay City for Matagorda, Wharton and select areas of Brazoria counties. Transportation services are free of charge and arrangements must be made in advance. Transportation can be scheduled by calling 979-216-8971. Car seats are required by law for children and are the parent’s responsibility to provide for transportation.
Can I pay my bill online?
Yes. On-line payments can be made through our Patient Portal.