December data shows a slight increase in number of COVID-19 cases.

During the month of November, Matagorda and Wharton Counties saw a downward trend in COVID-19 cases. As of December 20th, that trend appears to be taking an upward track.

According to the CDC, Matagorda County’s seven day average for positive cases is 4.57 with Wharton county’s at 5.57 and the transmission level raised to “Substantial” for both.1

In comparing one month of data, cases reported in November were much more infrequent to what can be currently seen occurring in December. While the number of COVID-19 positive cases remain low compared to months past, the climbing trend is evident.

Their has been quite a bit of discussion regarding the Omicron variant, however currently it only makes up approximately 3% of the infection rate across the United States, with Delta remaining the dominant variant at approximately 97%.2

While the CDC does not list different symptoms specific to different variants or how they may evolve over time, many physicians across the county have reported seeing an increase in COVID-19 positive patients with cold-like symptoms; congestion, runny nose and headache and those with loss of taste and smell reported less frequently than originally seen.

It is important however, to remember that anyone with COVID-19 can have a wide range of symptoms from mild to severe illness. Those who have had COVID-19 previously or who have received the vaccine may still be at risk of contracting the virus. Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure. COVID-19 symptoms may include one or more of the following:3

  • Fever or chills
  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
  • Fatigue
  • Muscle or body aches
  • Headache
  • New loss of taste or smell
  • Sore throat
  • Congestion or runny nose
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Diarrhea

The best ways to protect yourself from COVID-19 is to get vaccinated or booster if previously vaccinated, wash your hands regularly with soap and water or if unavailable, clean them with alcohol-based hand sanitizer, wear a mask when in public settings or around others, avoid touching your face, cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing, stay home if you feel unwell and avoid gathering in large groups of people.4


1., 2., 3., 4. CDC – COVID Data Tracker. Updated 12/11/2021

Leave a Reply