As things begin to open back up around our state and guidelines begin to change, it is important to stay informed. MEHOP is continuously keeping up with these changes and continues to enable healthcare services that ensures access to care and also meets the needs of our patients and the community during this challenging time.
Our current updates include:
- Well and sick visits that are not able to be conducted through Telehealth services are being scheduled at separate times of the day at MEHOP Family Medicine clinics (Bay City, Wharton and Palacios) and at our Pediatric clinic located in Bay City.
- To simplify the check-in process at all of our clinics, patients are sent a secure link 2 days prior to their appointment. Through the link, patients are able to complete pre-visit information such as confirming health history and current medications.
- MEHOP along with the CDC are urging parents to stay in contact with their child’s healthcare provider regarding routine childhood immunizations.
- Telehealth, Teletherapy and telephone conversations continue to be alternatives to in office visits when appropriate. In some instances, the patient may need to be seen in the clinic.
- Our Wharton clinic is currently offering curbside check-in for in office visits as an alternative to waiting room seating.
- Screenings, including temperature checks continue to be performed prior to entering clinics for all patients and anyone that is entering the building with the patient. Only one(non-sick) parent/guardian, or companion will be allowed per patient for those needing assistance unless medical necessity dictates otherwise.
- Our family medicine clinics continue to provide COVID testing for the community in Bay City, Wharton and Palacios. Anyone who may have symptoms possibly related to COVID are to call ahead. Walk-ins are discouraged and may put others at risk. The CDC has recently updated symptoms to include fever, cough, shortness of breath, chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, and new loss of taste or smell. Patients who come for testing are provided with a mask and taken through a separate entrance. Evaluation and testing are conducted in a designated exam room.
- MEHOP Dental has increased services to include urgent treatment. This includes; extractions, fillings of teeth that have deep decay, root canals for patients that have already been placed on antibiotic (had previous swollen tissues), and any other classified urgent treatment such as denture repairs. Also, we are working to continue to provide dentures for patients who are currently without teeth. Personal Protective measures for staff has been increased according to current guidelines and each treatment room has been equipped with a hepa filter air cleaner with uv light. Patients will still need to call ahead for appointments. Walk-ins are not currently being accepted.
- Elective surgeries for Ophthalmology and Gastroenterology have been discontinued, however restrictions will begin to be lifted. In office visits are available for MEHOP Ophthalmology and both in office and telehealth visits are available for MEHOP Gastroenterology.
- MEHOP Transportation continues to be provided on limited basis for well visits only at this time. As always, transportation to MEHOP appointments is provided free of charge.
- At this time, MEHOP is not able to distribute child safety seats through our Safe Riders Program. Per Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), all Safe Riders programs must continue to suspend program activities through Friday, May 15, 2020.
If you have any questions regarding our services or appointments please call us at 979-245-2008.