One in 5 children in the United States are obese. Childhood obesity puts kids at risk for health problems that were once seen only in adults, like type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
The good news is that childhood obesity can be prevented. In honor of National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month, MEHOP encourages your family to make healthy changes together.
- Get active outside: Walk around the neighborhood, go on a bike ride, or play basketball at the park.
- Limit screen time: Keep screen time (time spent on the computer, watching TV, or playing video games) to 2 hours or less a day.
- Make healthy meals: Buy and serve more vegetables, fruits, and whole-grain foods. Include kids in meal preparation.
Taking small steps as a family can help your child stay at a healthy weight.
- Matagorda County has many after school and weekend activities available to keep families active. They include youth sports leagues, walking trails at Matagorda County Birding and Nature Center, public fishing piers at the LCRA Matagorda Bay Nature Park and along the Palacios bay front and multiple neighborhood parks.
- Make routine visits to your child’s Pediatrician. Talk to their Pediatrician about healthy meal plans and tips to encourage your child to eat healthy and stay active.
For more information on our Pediatric services, visit www.mehop.org.